Recipe: Green Gram Palya
Recipe by: Stephi Thomas
- Green gram – 1 cup (around 150 gm)
- Water – 2.5 cups
- Grated coconut – ½ cup to ¾ cup
- Onion – 1 big
- Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves
- Green chili – 1 (optional)
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Dry chili flakes – 2 tsp (or chili powder – 2tsp)
- Curry leaves – 3 to 4 sprigs
- Oil – 2 to 3 tsp
- Salt – for taste
Transfer green gram, water, sliced green chili, turmeric powder and sufficient salt to a cooker, close the lid and cook in medium flame. (Approx 4 to 5 whistles)
- Ensure that green gram is cooked well. (It should not be smashed)
- Keep a china dish (deep flat pan) on flame and add oil into it.
- When oil gets heated up add finely chopped onions, finely chopped garlic and curry leaves and saute until it turns golden brown.
- Now add chili flakes, and little salt and mix.
- Immediately add cooked green gram and grated coconut and mix well.